Labels

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Spicy Dill Pickle Canning Recipe

My cucumber plants have started producing bountiful bunches of cucumbers.  There's not much to do with them but pickle and can them.  I use a recipe that is a family favorite that is passed on from my Uncle's mother.  These pickles have a bit of a kick but are awesome in Bloody Mary's, on a relish tray, on a hamburger hot off the grill, or just right out of the jar.

Peg's Spicy Dill Pickles Recipe

5 cups of water
5 cups of white vinegar
1/2 cup of pickling salt

Bring this to a boil

In each jar add:
a clump of dill (I grow my own in the garden)
1/2 tsp of mustard seed
1/4 tsp of minced garlic
1/4 red pepper flakes (for just a little kick)

Fill each jar with the hot liquid and seal.  Makes 8 pints.

2 comments:

  1. how much dill would you say you use? I have dried dill like what you buy in the store. thanks!

    ReplyDelete